|Serves||Makes six cups (1.5 L)|
1 lb (500 g) mild or hot pork sausages, casings removed
1 onion, coarsely chopped
1 cup (250 mL) each: chicken stock, water
1 cup (250 mL) long grain rice
1 can (28 oz/796 mL) tomatoes
1/4 tsp (1 mL) each: turmeric, red pepper flakes
1 bay leaf
1 cup (250 mL) fresh or frozen peas
1/2 lb (250 mL) uncooked shelled shrimp (optional)
1. In a large non-stick skillet or Dutch oven, cook sausages, crumbling with a spoon, over medium heat until browned (about 5 minutes).
2. Add onion and cook until softened.
3. Stir in stock, water, rice, tomatoes, turmeric, red pepper flakes and bay leaf; bring to a boil, stirring to break tomatoes slightly. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 25 minutes or until rice is tender.
4. Stir in peas and shrimp (if using); cover and cook 3-4 minutes or until shrimp are pink.
5. Discard bay leaf and serve.