Seasoned Pork Shoulder Picnic Roast
3-4 kg (6.5 - 8.5 lbs)
Heat oven to 325°F (163°C).
- With the point of a very sharp knife, score the skin side of the roast in a 1" (2.5 cm) diamond pattern.
- Rub skin with vegetable oil and then rub with salt, pepper and granulated garlic.
- Place in a roasting pan, which has about 1" (2.5 cm) of boiling water already in it.
- Place a selection of carrots, parsnips, onion, celery and potatoes around the roast. Salt vegetables lightly and cover.
- Roast for about 2.5 to 3 hours (about 50 min. per kg), or until meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of roast reads 170°F (77°C).
- Remove from the oven, cover loosely with foil and let rest for 20 minutes before carving.
- Remove skin and to make "crackling" crisp skin under the broiler, place fat side up for a few minutes.